lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <erik.hatc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Definitive version of acts_as_solr
Date Sat, 12 Dec 2009 04:16:28 GMT
Jacob,

Yeah, it really is a big mess with acts_as_solr.  I blame a few
things: 1) me - for not wrangling this thing into Solr's client/ruby
area from the start, 2) Rubyists!  (Apache's svn isn't an appealing
home) and 3) the git craze promoting fork-mania.

And take a look at this ridiculous bug (in at least one fork) of
acts_as_solr: <http://groups.google.com/group/acts_as_solr/browse_thread/thread/4e1dee03a46c6415

So... what do we do?

Can we get the best version of acts_as_solr donated to Solr's svn?
Who can rightfully say where the IP of that comes from so we can
ensure it's provenance is clear and cool by all who touched the
code?   Or maybe we just start from scratch with the simplest thing
that can possibly work (like my acts_as_solr_"lite" (page 13 of http://code4lib.org/files/solr-ruby.pdf)

  and iterate from there in Apache's svn?

	Erik