lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Chris Hostetter <>
Subject Re: Windows 7 / Java 64bit / solr 1.4 - solr.solr.home problem
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 22:24:01 GMT

: I tried it on Vista 32 & Java 1.6.0_17-b04 and it works without a problem.
: Actually on all other computers in the office there is no problem - I am the
: only one using Windows 7
: I did try with full path and it didn't work as well. Here's the result:

by the looks of it, your problem is happening long before solr (or even 
java) get access to the system property ... it appears that something 
About how Windows 7 works is causing the command line args to be 
split at the first "." character so it thinks hte rest of the sysproperty 
name is suppose to be a classname.

things get even more interesting when you use the full path, and you can 
see htat somewhere along the way, something is converting the "/" 
charaters in the path to "." characters.  (but that may just be an attempt 
by the JRE to work arround people who inadvertantly try to run a java class using 
apathc instead of a fully qualified classname).

My suggestion would be that you ignore Solr for a little while.  Start by 
double checking that the docs for your Windows 7 version of Java don't say 
anything about needing to use special escaping of system properties, then 
make a little dos batch file (or whatever they are called in Windows 7) 
that echo's back all of hte comman line arguments it gets, and test that 
out with some arguments that contain "." charaters in them and see what 
that tells you ... because everything you describe makes this sound like 
funky new shell behavior introduced in Windows 7.

: PS C:\nginx\solr> java -Dsolr.solr.home=c:/nginx/solr/multicore -jar start.jar
: Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
: /solr/home=c:/nginx/solr/multicore
: Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:
: .solr.home=c:.nginx.solr.multicore


View raw message