lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Lukas Kahwe Smith <...@pooteeweet.org>
Subject Re: TermsComponent, multiple fields, total count
Date Tue, 19 Jan 2010 21:52:42 GMT

On 19.01.2010, at 21:55, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:

> Hi Lukas,

will check it out.

>> a search "quality" meter. As in indicate the total number of matches (doesnt
>> need to be accurate, just a ballpark figure especially if there are a lot of
>> matches)
>
> As in, you want each suggestion include the number of documents it would match if that
suggestion would be run as the query?
> Wouldn't that require one to execute that query, so if you want to show 10 suggestions,
you'd hit Solr 10 times?

Hmm actually now that you ask, I guess what I want makes no sense.

If I type in "ver" and get various terms which start with "ver" obviously if I submit that
search unless something is actually indexes as just "ver" there will obviously be no match
at all.

Let me briefly explain where I am coming from.
We have a search field and above it is the number of total entities in the db.
Now as people are typing in search terms we want to give them an indication of how many results
they can expect if they submit now.
But this UI concept was made by the UI team and obviously inspired by a more RDBMS like LIKE
"foo%" search, which i guess could be implemented in solr as well, but  the question is if
it makes sense.

so i guess if i do use TC then it makes more sense to display a list of all autocomplete terms
and their respective totals. if at all i should update the number above as the person is moving
their focus to one of the autocomplete options.

>> I also want to match multiple fields at once.
>
> Can you give an example?

I enter "Kreuz" but this could either be part of a persons name or of a street name, which
are separate fields in my index mainly because they analyzed differently (person name using
doublemetaphone and street name using word splitting to extract relevant parts for better
matching).

regards,
Lukas Kahwe Smith
mls@pooteeweet.org