lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jerome L Quinn <jlqu...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: solr blocking on commit
Date Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:18:48 GMT

yseeley@gmail.com wrote on 01/19/2010 06:05:45 PM:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 5:57 PM, Steve Conover <sconover@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > I'm using latest solr 1.4 with java 1.6 on linux.  I have a 3M
> > document index that's 10+GB.  We currently give solr 12GB of ram to
> > play in and our machine has 32GB total.
> >
> > We're seeing a problem where solr blocks during commit - it won't
> > server /select requests - in some cases for more than 15-30 seconds.
> > We'd like to somehow configure things such that there's no
> > interruption in /select service.
>
> A commit shouldn't cause searches to block.
> Could this perhaps be a stop-the-word GC pause that coincides with the
commit?

This is essentially the same problem I'm fighting with.  Once in a while,
commit
causes everything to freeze, causing add commands to timeout.

My large index sees pauses on the order of 50 seconds once every day or
two.  I
have a small index of 700M on disk that sees 20 second pauses once in a
while.

I'm using the IBM 1.6 jvm on linux.

Jerry