lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From gwk <g...@eyefi.nl>
Subject Re: Sites with Innovative Presentation of Tags and Facets
Date Mon, 31 May 2010 09:50:47 GMT
On 5/31/2010 11:29 AM, Geert-Jan Brits wrote:
> May I ask how you implemented getting the facet counts for each interval? Do
> you use a facet-query per interval?
> And perhaps for inspiration a link to the site you implemented this ..
>
> Thanks,
> Geert-Jan
>
> I love the idea of a sparkline at range-sliders. I think if I have time, I
>
>> might add them to the range sliders on our site. I already have all the data
>> since I show the count for a range while the user is dragging by storing the
>> facet counts for each interval in javascript.

Hi,

Sorry, seems I pressed send halfway through my mail and forgot about it.
The site I implemented my numerical range faceting on is
http://www.mysecondhome.co.uk/search.html and I got the facets by making
a small patch for Solr (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-1240)
which does the same thing for numbers what date faceting does for dates.

The biggest issue with range-faceting is the double counting of edges
(which also happens in date faceting, see
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-397). My patch deals with
that by adding an extra parameter which allows you specify which end of
the range query should be exclusive.

A secondary issue is that you can't do filter queries with one end
inclusive and one end exclusive (i.e. price:[500 TO 1000}). You can get
around this by doing "price:({500 TO 1000} OR 500)". I've looked into
the JavaCC code of Lucene to see if I could fix it so you could mix []
and {} but unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with it to get it to work.

Regards,

gwk