lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Walter Underwood <wun...@wunderwood.org>
Subject Re: How real-time are Soir/Lucene queries?
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 05:12:52 GMT
Solr is a very good engine, but it is not real-time. You can turn off the caches and reduce
the delays, but it is fundamentally not real-time.

I work at MarkLogic, and we have a real-time transactional search engine (and respository).
If you are curious, contact me directly.

I do like Solr for lots of applications -- I chose it when I was at Netflix.

wunder

On May 20, 2010, at 7:22 PM, Thomas J. Buhr wrote:

> Hello Soir,
>
> Soir looks like an excellent API and its nice to have a tutorial that makes it easy to
discover the basics of what Soir does, I'm impressed. I can see plenty of potential uses of
Soir/Lucene and I'm interested now in just how real-time the queries made to an index can
be?

> For example, in my application I have time ordered data being processed by a paint method
in real-time. Each piece of data is identified and its associated renderer is invoked. The
Java2D renderer would then lookup any layout and style values it requires to render the current
data it has received from the layout and style indexes. What I'm wondering is if this lookup
which would be a Lucene search will be fast enough?

> Would it be best to make Lucene queries for the relevant layout and style values required
by the renderers ahead of rendering time and have the query results placed into the most performant
collection (map/array) so renderer lookup would be as fast as possible? Or can Lucene handle
many individual lookup queries fast enough so rendering is quick?