lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: sort by field length
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 00:23:07 GMT
Are you sure you want to recompute the length when sorting?
It's the classic time/space tradeoff, but I'd suggest that when
your index is big enough to make taking up some more space
a problem, it's far too big to spend the cycles calculating each
term length for sorting purposes considering you may be
sorting all the terms in your index worst-case.

But you could consider payloads for storing the length, although
that would still be redundant...

Best
Erick