lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Yonik Seeley <yo...@lucidimagination.com>
Subject Re: Solr trunk and Jetty threadpool implementation problem
Date Sat, 29 May 2010 13:39:54 GMT
David, if it's fast for you to reproduce, would it be possible for you
to try the latest Jetty 6.1.24 and see if the issue still exists?
http://dist.codehaus.org/jetty/

Seems like we should upgrade to 6.1.24 anyway (there were quite a few
fixes in 6.1.23)
http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=11160&version=16044

-Yonik
http://www.lucidimagination.com

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Smiley, David W. <dsmiley@mitre.org> wrote:
> I'd like to warn people about the default configuration of Jetty in the Solr trunk release
(not present in Solr 1.4 and prior).  There is a difference in the jetty configuration which
is for the latest Solr to use the QueuedThreadPool (as seen in jetty.xml).  Previously, it
had used a BoundedThreadPool implementation that I've heard is considered deprecated presently.
 I have a multi-core setup where Jetty is serving up lots of Solr cores 9+ and when our client
does a distributed search (3 of them at a time actually), it triggers a condition in which
the query takes 50 plus seconds to respond.  During this time, the machine is effectively
idle, seemingly waiting for something.  To fix this, go back to the former BoundedThreadPool
implementation or don't use Jetty.  FWIW this has triggered us to swtich to Tomcat.

> Sorry but I have sunk so much resources into tracking down this nasty problem that I
can't spend much more on further figuring out why QueuedThreadPool is failing us.