lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Prasanna R <plistma...@gmail.com>
Subject Enhancing Solr relevance functions through predefined constants
Date Tue, 25 May 2010 20:59:47 GMT
Hi all,

I have a suggestion for improving relevance functions in Solr by way of
providing access to a set of pre-defined constants in Solr queries.
Specifically, the number of documents indexed, the number of unique terms in
a field, the total number of terms in a field, etc. are some of the
query-time constants that I believe can be made use of in function queries
as well as boosted queries to aid in the relevance calculations.

One of the tips provided in the Solr 1.4 Enterprise search server book
relating to using function queries is this - " If your data changes in ways
causing you to alter the constants in your function queries, then consider
implementing a periodic automated test of your Solr data to ensure that the
data fits within expected bounds."

I believe that having access to some of the constants mentioned above will
help in coming up with dynamic boost values that adapts as the underlying
data changes. I think this makes sense given that one of the basic relevancy
scoring metric - idf - is directly influenced by the number of documents
indexed.

I can imagine some of these constants being useful in Function queries and
Boosted Queries but am not able to think of a neat little usage example.

I request you all to provide feedback, comments on this idea to help
evaluate if it is worth creating an enhancement jira item for the same.

Thanks,

Prasanna