lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From D C <ca...@hotmail.com>
Subject shards design/customization coding question
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 20:40:46 GMT

We have a large index, separated
into multiple shards, that consists of records exported from a database.  One requirement
is to support near real-time
synchronization with the database.  To accomplish this we are considering creating
a "daily" shard where create and update documents
(records never get deleted) will be posted and at the end of the day, "empty" the daily shard
into
the other shards and start afresh the next day.

The problem with this
approach is when an existing database record is updated into the daily shard, then the daily
shard contains an updated document that has a duplicate id with another shard.
It is my understanding that in the case of duplicate document ids returned
from multiple shards, the document returned first will be returned in the
search results and the other duplicate document ids will be discarded.

My question is where can I
customize the solr code to specify that documents from a particular shard should be
given precedence in the search results.  Any pointers would be very much appreciated.