lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Villemos, Gert" <gert.ville...@logica.com>
Subject RE: Facets vs TermV's
Date Tue, 04 May 2010 06:30:54 GMT
I found a thread ones (sorry; cant remember where) which stated that the issue is performance;
the terms component is faster than the autocomplete.

I'm no expert but I guess its a question of when the auto complete index gets build. Where
as the terms component likely builds it at storage time, the facet component builds it at
retrieval time.

Me thinks...

G.

________________________________

From: Darren Govoni [mailto:darren@ontrenet.com]
Sent: Tue 5/4/2010 3:53 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Facets vs TermV's

Hi,
  I spent a lot of time on the Wiki and am working with facets and tv's,
but I'm still confused about something.

Basically, what is the difference between issuing a facet field query
that returns facets with counts,
and a query with term vectors that also returns document frequency
counts for terms in a field?

They seem almost similar, but I'm missing something I think. i.e. when
is best to use one over the other?
I know this is Solr 101, but just want to understand it fully.

Thanks for any quick tips again.

thanks.

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email  / Pour contribuer
comme Logica au respect de l'environnement, merci de ne pas imprimer ce mail /  Bitte drucken
Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie so Logica dabei, die Umwelt zu sch├╝tzen. /
Por favor ajude a Logica a respeitar o ambiente nao imprimindo este correio electronico.

and inform the sender. Thank you.