lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From sarfaraz masood <sarfarazmasood2...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Mr Lance : customize the search algorithm of solr
Date Mon, 21 Jun 2010 14:47:05 GMT
Mr Lance

Thanks
a lot for ur reply.. I am a novice a solr / lucene. but i have gone
thru the documentations of both.I have even implemented programs in
lucene for searching etc.

My problem is to apply a new search technique other than the one used by solr.

Step 1: My algorithm finds the tf idf values of all  the terms in each url and makes a chart
like this : -

         term 1     term2      term3 ...........
url 1    0.7         0.6          0.7
url 2    0.0         0.5          0.4
url 3
 0.7         0.8          0.6
..
.
.
.
.
(urls with 0 tf idf means word doesnt exist there.)

This ways i first construct a complete chart  of term  tf idf to urls..

Step 2 (Searcher )
then
depending on words in the query i select the correct urls by applying
mathematical formulae. This result should be shown to the user in
descending order.

Now as i know that lucene has its own searcher
which is used by solr as well. cant i replace this searcher part in
SOLR by a java program that returns urls by my algorithm. Rest every
thing should be of solr.

Only change the searcher part. I have
studied abt customizing the scoring which is absolutely not my aim.My
aim seems to be replacing the searcher. It is a work similar to BM25
work which u had mentioned in your reply  viz providing an alternate to
lucene search.

Plz help me in this regards. I will be highly gratefull to you for your assistance in this
work of mine.

If any part of this mail was not clear to you then plz lemme know, i will expain that you.

Regards

-sarfaraz