lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: performance sorting multivalued field
Date Tue, 22 Jun 2010 00:06:54 GMT
Well, sorting requires that all the unique values in the target field
get loaded into memory, so it's possible that's the culprit. This
would likely only show up if you have a relatively small test set,
or the multivalued entries that you added are new to your corpus.
To test this stab in the dark, I'd start by counting the number of
unique terms in the field for the multi-valued and non-multi-valued
versions....

But a larger question is whether what your doing is worthwhile
even as just a measurement. You say
"This is good for me, I don't care for my tests". I claim that
you do care. You really can't trust measurements
of something when the behavior is undefined. Which the
behavior of sorting on mutivalued fields is. And it's measuring
something that you had better not be doing anyway in a real
application, so what's the point?

Best
Erick