lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Gora Mohanty <g...@srijan.in>
Subject Re: Replacing text fields with numeric fields for speed
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:28:57 GMT
On Fri, 23 Jul 2010 14:44:32 +0530
Gora Mohanty <gora@srijan.in> wrote:
[...]
>   From some experiments, I see only a small difference between a
> text search on a field, and a numeric search on the corresponding
> numeric field.
[...]

Well, I take that back. Running more rigorous tests with Apache
Bench shows a difference of slightly over a factor of 2 between the
median search time on the numeric field, and on the text field. The
search on the numeric field is, of course, faster. That much
of a difference puzzles me. Would someone knowledgeable about
Lucene indexes care to comment?

Regards,
Gora