lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From marship <mars...@126.com>
Subject How to speed up solr search speed
Date Thu, 15 Jul 2010 04:22:39 GMT
Hi. All.
    I got a problem with distributed solr search. The issue is
    I have 76M documents spread over 76 solr instances, each instance handles 1M documents.

   Previously I put all 76 instances on single server and when I tested I found each time
it runs, it will take several times, mostly 10-20s to finish a search.
   Now, I split these instances into 2 servers. each one with 38 instances. the search speed
is about 5-10s each time.
10s is a bit unacceptable for me. And based on my observation, the slow is caused by disk
operation as all theses instances are on same server. Because when I test each single instance,
it is purely fast, always ~400ms. When I use distributed search, I found some instance say
it need 7000+ms.
   Our server has plenty of memory free of use. I am thinking is there a way we can make solr
use more memory instead of harddisk index, like, load all indexes into memory so it can speed
up?

welcome any help.
Thanks.
Regards.