lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>
Subject RE: filter query on timestamp slowing query???
Date Sun, 25 Jul 2010 22:57:24 GMT
britske wrote:
>> *If* you could query on internal docid (I'm not sure that it's available
>> out-of-the-box, or if you can at all)
>> your original problem, quoted below, could imo be simplified to asking for
>> the last docid inserted (that match the other criteria from your use-case)
>> and in the next call filter from that docid forward.
>
>that sounds great, is there really a way to do that?

I don't know about internal docids, but no reason you can't use that same technique with timestamps,
if you want to do the two-query-remember-30-minutes-agos-last-doc approach.

Query for latest timestamp by sorting by timestamp descending, set rows=1, the row you get
back has the greatest timestamp.

30 minutes later, query with fq=timestamp>that_one_we_remembered.

Would this be any slower with timestamps than with docids?  I don't think so, but one way
to find out.

Also, with any sorting, you probably might want to include a warming query that sorts by the
column you are going to be sorted on. I haven't figured out yet if a warming query that sorts
on a field will help speed up later range-queries (rather than just later sorts) on that field
too, but I'm thinking it might.

Jonathan