lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From kenf_nc <ken.fos...@realestate.com>
Subject Re: Facet Fields - ID vs. Display Value
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2010 13:17:19 GMT

If your concern is performance, faceting integers versus faceting strings, I
believe Lucene makes the differences negligible. Given that choice I'd go
with string. Now..if you need to keep an association between id and string,
you may want to facet a combined field  <id>:<string> or some other
delimiter. Then parse it on display. But you can use the id if you need to
hit a database or some other external source. If you don't ever need to
reference the ID, I wouldn't even put it in the index.