lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shaun McArthur <Shaun.McArt...@autodata.net>
Subject Basic conceptual questions about solr
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:31:01 GMT
I'm looking for a Google search appliance look-a-like. We have a file share with 1000's of
documents in a hierarchy that makes it ridiculously difficult to locate documents.

Here are some basic questions:

Is the idea to install Solr on separate hardware and have it crawl the file system?
Can crawls be scheduled?
If installed on a remote server, can it be configured to insert users' local content in search
results?
I assumed that once it's functioning, users surf to a web page for results?

Appreciate any input, and I have started to RTFJavadocs :)
Shaun

Shaun McArthur
Dir. Technical Operations
Autodata Solutions