lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mark Allan <mark.al...@ed.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Solr data type for date faceting
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:37:08 GMT
If you're storing the timestamp as YYYYMMDDHHMM, why don't you make it
a trie-coded integer field (type 'tint') rather than text?  That way,
I believe range queries would be more efficient.  You can then do a
facet query, specifying your desired ranges as one facet query for
each range.

Note that I think you can also do facet queries with text fields, but
in this instance, storing it as a number would probably be more
efficient.  Your user interface can deal with translating it from
YYYYMMDDHHMM to something more display-appropriate.

Mark

On 18 Aug 2010, at 9:28 am, Karthik K wrote:

> I have a field storing timestamp as text (YYYYMMDDHHMM). Can i get the
> results as i get with date faceting? (July(30),August(54) etc)
> As per my knowledge Solr currently doesn't support range faceting,
> even if
> it does in the future , text will not be recognized as integer/long.
>
> Tried for a workaround with field.prefix, but it cannot give the
> desired
> result.
>
> Thanks,
> Karthik

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.