lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl / Cominvent <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Basic conceptual questions about solr
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2010 00:02:02 GMT
Hi,

You can place Solr wherever you want, but if your data is veery large, you'd want dedicated
box.

Have a look at DIH (http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DataImportHandler). It can both crawl a file
share periodically, indexing only files changed since a timestamp (can be e.g. NOW-1HOUR)
and extract resulting text using Tika.

However if you require security, have a look at LCF (http://incubator.apache.org/connectors/)
which adds security but may lack a powerful file crawler..

You choose how the results are presented back to the user, but normally it's a traditional
web page with links which when clicked will point to that resource in some way.

Wrt. user's local content - what is that? Sounds like you want to hook in to a local search
on the laptop like Google does. To do that you'd have to develop a local service sitting in
the system tray on each computer, exposing some API on some port. And then when user searches
your search portal, e.g. search.mycompany.com/?q=foo, the GUI uses some AJAX to reach out
to the local search service and filter that in to the results...

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

On 19. aug. 2010, at 21.31, Shaun McArthur wrote:

> I'm looking for a Google search appliance look-a-like. We have a file share with 1000's
of documents in a hierarchy that makes it ridiculously difficult to locate documents.