lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Ma, Xiaohui (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]" <xiao...@mail.nlm.nih.gov>
Subject RE: ANNOUNCE: Stump Hoss @ Lucene Revolution
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:15:02 GMT
Hello,

I just started to investigate Solr several weeks ago. Our current project uses Verity search
engine which is commercial product and the company is out of business. I am trying to evaluate
if Solr can meet our requirements. I have following questions.

1. Currently we use Verity and have more than 20 collections, each collection has a index
for public items and a index for private items. So there are virtual collections which point
to each collection and a virtual collection which points to all. For example, we have AA and
BB collections.

AA virtual collection --> (AA index for public items and AA index for private items).
BB virtual collection --> (BB index for public items and BB index for private items).
All virtual collection --> (AA index for public items and AA index for private items, BB
index for public items and BB index for private items).

Would you please tell me what I should do for this if I use Solr?

2. Our project has different kind format files I need index them. For example, xml files,
pdf files and text files. Is it possible for Solr to return a search result from all?

3. I got a error when I index pdf files which are version 1.5 or 1.6. Would you please tell
me if there is a patch to fix it?

Thanks so much in advance,