lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Thomas Joiner <thomas.b.joi...@gmail.com>
Subject how to create a custom type in Solr
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 15:02:02 GMT
I need to have a field that supports ranges...for instance, you specify a
range of 8000 to 9000 and if you search for 8500, it will hit.  However,
when googling, I really couldn't find any resources on how to create your
own field type in Solr.

But from what I was able to find, the AbstractSubTypeFieldType class seems
like a good starting point for the type that I want to make, however that
isn't in the current version of Solr that I am using (1.4.1).  So I guess my
question is: is Solr 3.0 ready for production?  If so, how do I get it? Do I
just need to checkout the code from svn and build it myself?  If so should I
just check out the latest, or is there a particular branch that I should go
with that is reliable?  If I switch to 3.0, will I need to reindex my data,
or has the data format not changed?

And if 3.0 isn't ready for production, what would you suggest I do?  Is the
AbstractSubTypeFieldType such that I can backport it and use it with 1.4.1,
or does it use specific features of 3.0 that I would have to backport as
well, in which case it would become a horribly convoluted mess where I would
be better off just going with 3.0.  And I guess this comes back to help on
finding resources about implementing custom types...it would just be more
complicated if I couldn't use the AbstractSubTypeFieldType.

(This is my first time posting to a mailing list, so if I have violated
horribly some etiquette of mailing lists, please tell me).

Regards,
Thomas