lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Brad Dewar <bde...@stfx.ca>
Subject sort order of "missing" items
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 20:10:07 GMT

When items are sorted, are all the docs with the sort field missing considered "tied" in terms
of their sort order, or are they "indeterminate", or do they have some arbitrary order imposed
on them (e.g. _docid_)?

For example, would "b" be considered as part of the sort in the following query, or would
all the missing 'a' fields be in some kind of order already, thus making the sort algorithm
never check the 'b' field?

/select/?q=-a:[* TO *]&sort=a asc,b asc

And would sortMissingLast / sortMissingFirst affect the answer to that question?

I've been seeing weird behaviour in my index with queries (a little) like this one, but I
haven't pinpointed the problem yet.

Brad