lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Ron Mayer <r...@0ape.com>
Subject Re: Prioritizing adjectives in solr search
Date Mon, 11 Oct 2010 00:50:25 GMT
Walter Underwood wrote:
> I think this is a bad idea. The tf.idf algorithm will already put a higher weight on
"hammers" than on "blue", because "hammers" will be more rare than "blue". Plus, you are making
huge assumptions about the queries. In a search for "Canon camera", "Canon" is an adjective,
but it is the important part of the query.

> Have you looked at your query logs and which queries are successful and which are not?
>
> Don't make radical changes like this unless you can justify them from the logs.

The one radical change I'd like in the area of adjectives in noun clauses is if
more weight were put when the adjectives apply to the appropriate noun.

For example, a search for:
   'red baseball cap black leather jacket'
should find a doc with "the guy wore a red cap, blue jeans, and a leather jacket"
before one that says "the guy wore a black cap, leather pants, and a red jacket".

The closest I've come at doing this was to use a variety of "phrase slop"
boosts simultaneously - so that "red [any_few_words] cap" "baseball cap"
"leather jacket", "black [any_few_words] jacket" all add boosts to the score.