lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Bernd Fehling <bernd.fehl...@uni-bielefeld.de>
Subject Re: names of index files
Date Mon, 03 Jan 2011 15:27:04 GMT
Hi Grant,

Simon Willnauer gave me an excellent explanation:

> Why is there an "_0" at some files?
> Is it from Lucene or from Solr or a fault in my system?
lucene 4.0 as you might know has the ability to plug in a Codec which
has full control over how postings are stored, which format is used
and what files are written. Each Field within a segment can have its
own codec ie. field "foo" can have "Standard" and Field "bar" uses
"Pulsing" for instance. In such a case, since Pulsing is just a
wrapper around Standard - Codec, both codecs try to write the same set
of files per segment. For that reason we introduced a codec ID valid
per segment. Its is really an ordinal build from the set of codecs
used per segment. this ordinal is used to build the filenames, in your
case you only have one codec (I suppose its Standard - Codec) with the
ord "0". This ordinal is used for all files that codec writes. The
files without that ordinal (nrm, fdt, fdx and fnrm) are written by the
IndexWriter directly but the functionality behind it might be exposed
via codec sooner or later.
So, afterall this is a lucene functionality and your system is just
fine doing the right thing!

> I also didn't find any information at
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_3/fileformats.html
Its not a 3.3 feature - codecs are introduced in 4.0 aka. trunk.

Thanks again to Simon.

Am 03.01.2011 16:19, schrieb Grant Ingersoll:
> http://lucene.apache.org/java/3_0_2/fileformats.html (and other versions) contains the
explanation of what the file formats are and the naming conventions.  Since you are on trunk,
you will need to get the docs for that particular version of Lucene and take a look in them.