lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Cathy Hemsley <cathy.hems...@converteam.com>
Subject Solr: using to index large folders recursively containing lots of different documents, and querying over the web
Date Fri, 14 Jan 2011 12:05:28 GMT
Hi Solr users,

I hope you can help.  We are migrating our intranet web site management
system to Windows 2008 and need a replacement for Index Server to do the
text searching.  I am trying to establish if Lucene and Solr is a feasible
replacement, but I cannot find the answers to these questions:

1. Can Solr be set up to recursively index a folder containing an
indeterminate and variable large number of subfolders, containing files of
all types:  XML, HTML, PDF, DOC, spreadsheets, powerpoint presentations,
text files etc.  If so, how?
2. Can Solr be queried over the web and return a list of files that match a
search query entered by a user, and also return the abstracts for these
files, as well as 'hit highlighting'.  If so, how?
3. Can Solr be run as a service (like Index Server) that automatically
detects changes to the files within the indexed folder and updates the
index? If so, how?

Thanks for your help

Cathy Hemsley

--
Converteam UK Ltd. Registration Number: 5571739 and Converteam Ltd.
Registration Number: 2416188

Registered in England and Wales.

Registered office: Boughton Road, Rugby, Warwickshire, CV21 1BU.

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may
be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender
immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for
any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.

http://www.converteam.com