lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Single value vs multi value setting in tokenized field
Date Tue, 18 Jan 2011 19:51:39 GMT

: problem, disk space is cheap. What I wanted to know was whether it is best
: to make the single field multiValued="true" or not. That is, should my
: 'content' field hold data like:
: or would it be better to make it a concatenated, single value field like:

functionally, the only distinctions are:
 * the positionIncrementGap comes into play in a multiValued field, which
   affects positions in phrase queries
 * for stored fields, the multiple vlaues are retuned distinctly instead
of as one concatenated string.

there shouldn't be any noticible performance difference between indexing
either way.

-Hoss