lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: multi-core solr, specifying the data directory
Date Tue, 01 Mar 2011 09:23:17 GMT
Have you tried removing the <dataDir> tag from solrconfig.xml? Then it should fall back
to default ./data relative to core instancedir.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

On 1. mars 2011, at 00.00, Jonathan Rochkind wrote:

> Unless I'm doing something wrong, in my experience in multi-core Solr in 1.4.1, you NEED
to explicitly provide an absolute path to the 'data' dir.

> I set up multi-core like this:
>
> <cores adminPath="/admin/cores">
> <core name="some_core" instanceDir="some_core">
> </core>
> </cores>
>

> Now, setting instanceDir like that works for Solr to look for the 'conf' directory in
the default location you'd expect, ./some_core/conf.

> You'd expect it to look for the 'data' dir for an index in ./some_core/data too, by default.
 But it does not seem to. It's still looking for the 'data' directory in the _main_ solr.home/data,
not under the relevant core directory.

> The only way I can manage to get it to look for the /data directory where I expect is
to spell it out with a full absolute path:

> <core name="some_core" instanceDir="some_core">
> <property name="dataDir" value="/path/to/main/solr/some_core/data" />
> </core>
>
> And then in the solrconfig.xml do a <dataDir>${dataDir}</dataDir>
>
> Is this what everyone else does too? Or am I missing a better way of doing this?  I would
have thought it would "just work", with Solr by default looking for a ./data subdir of the
specified instanceDir.  But it definitely doesn't seem to do that.

> Should it? Anyone know if Solr in trunk past 1.4.1 has been changed to do what I expect?
Or am I wrong to expect it? Or does everyone else do multi-core in some different way than
me where this doesn't come up?