lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>
Subject FW: Exact match on a field with stemming
Date Mon, 11 Apr 2011 23:53:59 GMT

> I'm curious to know why Solr is not respecting the phrase.
> If it consider "manager" as a phrase... shouldn't it return only document containing
that phrase?

A phrase means to solr (or rather to the lucene and dismax query parsers, which are what understand
double-quoted phrases)  "these tokens in exactly this order"

So a phrase of one token "manager", is exactly the same as if you didn't use the double quotes.
It's only one token, so "all the tokens in this phrase in exactly the order specified" is,
well, just the same as one token without phrase quotes.

If you've set up a stemmed field at indexing time, then "manager" and "management" are stemmed
IN THE INDEX, probably to something like "manag".  There is no longer any information in the
index (at least in that field) on what the original literal was, it's been stemmed in the
index.  So there's no way possible for it to only match certain un-stemmed versions -- at
least using that field. And when you enter either 'manager' or 'management' at query time,
it is analyzed and stemmed to match that stemmed something-like "manag" in the index either
way. If it didn't analyze and stem at query time, then instead the query would just match
NOTHING, because neither 'manager' nor 'management' are in the index at all, only the stemmed
versions.

So, yes, double quotes are interpreted as a phrase, and only documents containing that phrase
are returned, you got it.