lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Juan Antonio Farré Basurte <juan.fa...@reviewpro.com>
Subject Re: TrieIntField for "short" values
Date Sun, 15 May 2011 15:19:46 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

I am doing range queries on this field, yes, that's why I cared about
how all this trie thing works :)

If I use precisionStep=0 would it be equivalent to use, say, a
SortableIntField?

Would it be possible that you explained, for example, the difference in
how it would work using a precisionStep=0 or using a
precisionStep=Integer.MAX_VALUE?

May be this way I could get an idea on how it works. I've read as much
information as I've been able to find, but I didn't get a clear idea.

Thanks a lot,

Juan

El dom, 15-05-2011 a las 11:01 -0400, Erick Erickson escribió:
> Are you doing range queries on this field? Range queries are where
> Trie shines, so worrying about
> precision step if you're NOT intending to do range queries is a waste,
> just use precisionstep=0.
>
> In fact, with only 1,000 values, I'd just go with PrecisionStep=0
> (which is the int field)
>
> Best
> Erick
>
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:15 AM, Juan Antonio Farré Basurte
> <juan.farre@reviewpro.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm quite a beginner in solr and have many doubts while trying to learn how everything
works.
> > I have only a slight idea on how TrieFields work.
> > The thing is I have an integer value that will always be in the range 0-1000. A
short field would be enough for this, but there is no such TrieShortField (not even a SortableShortField).
So, I used a TrieIntField.
> > My doubt is, in this case, what would be a suitable value for precisionStep. If
the field had only 1000 distinct values, but they were more or less uniformly distributed
in the 32-bit int range, probably a big precisionStep would be suitable. But as my values
are in the range 0 to 1000, I think (without much knowledge) that a low precisionStep should
be more adequate. For example, 2.
> > Can anybody, please, help me finding a good configuration for this type? And, if
possible, can anybody explain in a brief and intuitive way what are the differences and tradeoffs
of choosing smaller or bigger precisionSteps?