lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>
Subject Re: Exact match
Date Tue, 17 May 2011 15:27:32 GMT
You've got to change the fields to do it.

If you use a String field, then only exact matches will match, but
they'll be REALLY exact matches -- spacing, punctuation, etc.

Also, if you are using the lucene or dismax query parsers, you'll need
to phrase quote your query if it has any spaces in it, to avoid query
parser pre-tokenization.  (I call it 'pre-tokenization', not sure what
Solr calls it).

So you could use a textfield with the keyword tokenizer (does not split
on word boundaries), and apply some punctuation/spacing normalization,
to make your match a little bit less 'exact' if desired. You'd still
need to issue your query as phrase quoted if it contains any spaces, to
the lucene or dismax query parsers. Or use a different query parser,
like "field" or "raw" or that new one I can't remember the name of.

Another idea I've had for exact matching, but haven't tried out myself
yet:  Use a text/analyzed field, WITH tokenization, but manually add a
token such as "THE_START" to the start of the field before indexing, and
"THE_END" to the end of the field before indexing. Then when you do a
query, phrase quote it AND manually add those tokens before issuing the
query. So if the user entered "quick brown fix", you'd actually send a
search for (phrase quoted) "THE_START quick brown fox THE_END".  That
would hypothetically be another way of getting an 'exact' match (with
whatever normalization the field's analysis does), in a field that could
also be used for 'ordinary' searching.  Haven't tried it myself yet.
Those extra tokens might (or might not) alter Solr's relevancy scores
somewhat.

Jonathan