lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erik Fäßler <erik.faess...@uni-jena.de>
Subject Re: Facetting: Some questions concerning method:fc
Date Thu, 19 May 2011 16:08:27 GMT
  Am 19.05.2011 16:07, schrieb Yonik Seeley:
> On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 9:56 AM, Erik Fäßler<erik.faessler@uni-jena.de>  wrote:
>> I have a few questions concerning the field cache method for faceting.
>> The wiki says for enum method: "This was the default (and only) method for
>> faceting multi-valued fields prior to Solr 1.4. ". And for fc method: "This
>> was the default method for single valued fields prior to Solr 1.4. ".
>> I just ran into the problem of using fc for a field which can have multiple
>> terms for one field. The facet counts would be wrong, seemingly only
>> counting the first term in the field of each document. I observed this in
>> Solr 1.4.1 and in 3.1 with the same index.
> That doesn't sound right... the results should always be identical
> between facet.method=fc and facet.method=enum. Are you sure you didn't
> index a multi-valued field and then change the fieldType in the schema
> to be single valued? Are you sure the field is indexed the way you
> think it is?  If so, is there an easy way for someone to reproduce
> what you are seeing?
>
> -Yonik
> http://www.lucenerevolution.org -- Lucene/Solr User Conference, May
> 25-26, San Francisco
Thanks a lot for your help: Changing the field type to "multiValued" did
the trick. The point is, I built the index using Lucene directly (I need
to for some special manipulation of offsets and position increments). So
my question is which requirements a Lucene field has to fulfill so
Solr's faceting works correctly.
Particular question: In Lucene terms, what exactly is denoted by a
"multiValued" field? I thought that would result in multiple Lucene
Field instances with the same name for a single document. But I think my
field has only one instance per document (but I could check that back).

Thanks again for your quick and helpful answer!

     Erik