lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>
Subject Re: how does Solr/Lucene index multi-value fields
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 16:27:22 GMT
On 5/31/2011 12:16 PM, Ian Holsman wrote:
> we have a collection of related stories. when a user searches for
> something, we might not want to display the story that is
> most-relevant (according to SOLR), but according to other home-grown
> rules. by combing all the possibilities in one SolrDocument, we can
> avoid a DB-hit to get related stories.

Avoiding a DB hit may or may not actually be a good goal here. You may
find that hitting the DB to get related stories is _more performant_
than retrieving a very large stored field from Solr. (My sense is this
can be especially a problem on a Solr index that has not been optimized,
but I'm not sure).

Sorry, don't have an answer to your actual question, but if an attempted
performance improvement is making other things harder... might want to
be sure your presumed performance improvement really is a performance
improvement.