lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>
Subject Re: Using multiple CPUs for a single document base?
Date Tue, 31 May 2011 18:29:31 GMT
Yeah, ignore the 'multiple cores' you are seeing in the docs there,
that's about something else unrelated to CPU's, as you discovered, has
nothing to do with what you're asking about, put it out of your mind.

I kind of think you should get multi-CPU use 'for free' as a Java app
too. It does for me, heavy Solr usage, I look at my stats, multiple CPU
cores are being excersized. (Of course, this is never going to be
perfectly efficient, you aren't going to get double performance  by
doubling the CPUs in one box, there are various bottlenecks, as we all
know).

There are also some Java GC tuning you want to do with multiple cores,
the default JVM settings aren't usually appropriate. (You want to
background thread your GC, I forget the magic JVM invocations). But
that's probably not related to your issue if you don't even see more
than one CPU being exersized at all, weird.

On 5/31/2011 1:44 PM, Jack Repenning wrote:
> Is there a way to allow Solr to use multiple CPUs of a single, multi-core box, to increase
scale (number of documents, number of searches) of the searchbase?

> The CoreAdmin wiki page talks about "Multiple Cores" as essentially independent document
bases with independent indexes, but with some unification of administration at the grosser
levels. That's not quite what I'm looking for, though. I want a single URL for add and search
access, and a single logical searchbase, but I want to be able to use more of the resources
of the physical box where the searchbase runs.

> I guess I thought I would get this for free, it being Java and all, but I don't seem
to: even with hundreds of clients adding and searching, I only seem to use one hardware core,
and a bit of a second (which I interpret to mean "one Java thread for Solr, one Java thread
for Java I/O").