lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Rochkind <rochk...@jhu.edu>
Subject RE: how to do offline adding/updating index
Date Tue, 10 May 2011 13:45:26 GMT
One approach is to use Solr's replication features.  Index to a 'master', periodically replicate
to 'slave' on which all the searching is done.

That's what I do; my master and slave are in fact on the same server (one with a bunch of
CPUs and RAM however), although not alternate cores in a multi-core setup. I in fact put them
in different containers (different tomcat or jetty instances) to isolate them as much as possible
(don't want an accidental OOM on one effecting the other).    This seems to work out pretty
well -- although I think that while the replication operation is actually going on, performance
on the slave is indeed effected somewhat, it's not completely without side effect.

It's possible using some kind of 'swapping' technique would eliminate that, as you suggest,
but I haven't tried it. Certainly a delta query for indexing imports is always a good idea
if it will work for you, but with or without you'll probably need some other setup in addition
to isolate your indexing from your searching, either replication or a method of 'swapping',
indexing to a new Solr index and then swapping the indexes out.
From: vrparekh@gmail.com [vrparekh@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 9:22 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: how to do offline adding/updating index

Hello all,

indexing with dataimporthandler runs every hour (new records will be added,
some records will be updated) note :large data

requirement is when indexing is in progress, searching (on already indexed
data) should not affect

so should i use multicore-with merge and swap or delta query or any other
way?

Thanks