lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Jay.Jae...@dot.wi.gov>
Subject RE: can indexing information stored in db rather than filesystem?
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 15:54:13 GMT
If you think about it, Lucene (upon which Solr is build) *is* a kind of DBMS - just not an
RDBMS.  After all, in the end, a DBMS stores its stuff in files, too.  If you then turned
around and mapped the stuff that Solr does into database tables, you would lose all of the
performance advantages that the Lucene/Solr design brings to the table.  There would be no
point.

I think this is just a matter of having been "brainwashed" into thinking that a database is
the only "safe" place to put stuff.

JRJ

-----Original Message-----
From: kiran.bodigam [mailto:kiran.bodigam@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2011 8:27 AM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: can indexing information stored in db rather than filesystem?

SOLR will keep the indexed information in directory called
index(${DATA_DIR}/index) after clicking the commit from admin console and
also we can override  the existing index files.similarly can we keep (or)
store these  index related information in permanent location like db table
rather than a file system?