lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jaeger, Jay - DOT" <Jay.Jae...@dot.wi.gov>
Subject RE: Errors in requesthandler statistics
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:23:32 GMT
I am not expert, but based on my experience, the information you are looking for should indeed
be in your logs.

There are at least three logs you might look for / at:

- An HTTP request log
- The solr log
- Logging by the application server / JVM

Some information is available at http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrLogging, but it is pretty
sparse.  For Jetty, more detailed information is available at http://wiki.apache.org/solr/LoggingInDefaultJettySetup

If you have an HTTP server out in front of your application server, or if your application
server logs HTTP requests (like Jetty does, for example), you can spot errors via the HTTP
status code returned, but there is no detail.

Otherwise errors are also logged in the Solr log.  It is (or at least can be) pretty detailed.
 See the links above.

We created a logging.properties entry to put the logs where we wanted them, per the LoggingInDefaultJettySetup
link, above.

The application server log is system dependent.  For our prototype we started Jetty as a Windows
service, and the logs end up in the jetty-service.log defined by the service wrapper.  For
other application servers, the place, and what is in the log, may vary.

It is a good idea to find out where your logs live before you need them.  ;^)

JRJ