lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Managing solr machines (start/stop/status)
Date Wed, 14 Sep 2011 13:34:41 GMT
On 9/13/2011 6:05 PM, Jamie Johnson wrote:
> I know this isn't a solr specific question but I was wondering what
> folks do in regards to managing the machines in their solr cluster?
> Are there any recommendations for how to start/stop/manage these
> machines?  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

What do you mean by manage?

For stopping and starting, I built my own redhat-friendly init script to
handle jetty.  It uses a file in /etc/sysconfig for commandline options.

You can see my init script here:

http://pastebin.com/GweJVGk5

Here's what I have in /etc/sysconfig/solr:
STARTARGS="-Xms3072M -Xmx3072M -XX:NewSize=2048M -XX:+UseParNewGC
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSParallelRemarkEnabled
-Dsolr.solr.home=/index/solr -Dsolr.clustering.enabled=true
-DSTOP.PORT=8079 -DSTOP.KEY=somePassword"
STOPARGS="-DSTOP.PORT=8079 -DSTOP.KEY=somePassword"

I'm running CentOS5, but I ran into a problem with the fuser command
that I use in the init script.  I filed a bug with CentOS, but since the
bug comes from upstream, they were not able to fix it.  You may need to
install a new psmisc package to use the init script:

http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=4260

The script works fine on CentOS 6.

Thanks,
Shawn