lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Best way to anchor solr searches?
Date Sat, 03 Sep 2011 21:57:48 GMT
If I understand correctly, you SORT on login_time desc.
Perhaps your biggest problem is that for each user logging in, they jump to page 1, so this
issue is very visible.
A simple way to fix this is to add a filter when you page, e.g. fq=login_time:[* TO <time-of-first-page-query>],
effectively freezing the time window you're viewing. Of course, if a user which is on page
2 when you're watching page 1, he will then fall out of your radar when you go to page 2.
However, it's probably not likely that a user who just recently logged in will log in again
very soon…

Freezing the index is harder. Lucene has something called commit-point which - if kept constant
for all queries will give you the same index version. But Solr does not expose this as a feature,
so you'd have to roll your own caching someway. Perhaps increasing queryResultWindowSize will
help.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com