lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From sol myr <solmy...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Lucene Grid question
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2011 17:21:51 GMT
Thank you very much (sorry for the delayed reply).

________________________________
From: Chris Hostetter <hossman_lucene@fucit.org>
To: solr-users <solr-user@lucene.apache.org>; sol myr <solmyr72@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 4:15 AM
Subject: Re: Lucene Grid question

: E.g. say I have a chain of book-stores, in different countries, and I'm aiming for the following:
: - Each country has its own index file, on its own machine (e.g. books from Japan are indexed
on machine "japan1")
: - Most users search only within their own country (e.g. search only the "japan1" index)
: - But sometimes, they might ask to search the entire chain (all countries), meaning some
sort of "map/reduce" (=collect data from all countries).

what you're describing is one possible usecase of "Distributed Search"

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DistributedSearch

as long as each of the individual "country" indexes have schemas that
overlap (ie: share some common fields) and have the same uniqueKey field,
with an id space that does *not* overlap between countries (ie: document
"1" can only be in one index, not in any others) then you can do a
distributed query that is distributed out to all of hte individual
indexes, and then merged together to generate aggregate results.

-Hoss