lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: VelocityResponseWriter's future
Date Wed, 28 Dec 2011 01:40:40 GMT
Hi,

I think a "/browse" type of experience is crucial for newcomers to quickly get familiar with
Solr.
Whether it's Velocity based, AJAX based or another technology is less important.
I personally like VRW and frequently use it as the first step in prototyping in a project.
I've also contributed patches to fix bugs and make it more usable.
So unless a new and better alternative is in already in place (I love the idea of AJAX-ifying
things), I vote for keeping VRW, but lazy loading it not to annoy people copying example/
around.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

On 9. des. 2011, at 22:30, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> So I thought that Solr having a decent HTML search UI out of the box was a good idea.
 I still do.  But it's been a bit of a pain to maintain (originally it was a contrib module,
then core, then folks didn't want it as a core dependency, and now it is back as a contrib),
and the UI has accumulated a fair bit of cruft/ugliness as folks have tacked on "the kitchen
sink" into it compared to my idealistic generic (not specific to the example data) lean and
clean sensibilities.

> What should be done?  Who actually cares about VRW or the /browse interface?  And if
you do care, what do you like or dislike about it?  And if you really really care, patches
welcome! ;)

> Perhaps, as I'm starting to feel in general about open source pet projects, add-on's,
"monkey patches" to open source software, it should be moved out of Solr's repo altogether
and maintained elsewhere (say my personal or Lucid's github).