lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Erick Erickson <erickerick...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Multivalued field
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2011 13:34:49 GMT
Well, Solr is a text search engine, and a good one. But this sure
feels like a problem that RDBMSs were built to handle. Why do
you want to do this? Is your current performance a problem?
Are you blowing your space resources out of the water? Do you
want to distribute your app to places not connected to your RDBMS?
Is there too much traffic on your RDBMS machine?

Something about "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

In general, you have to tell us the problem you're trying to solve
so we don't go off into XY land.
http://people.apache.org/~hossman/#xyproblem

Best
Erick

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Alan Miller <alan.miller3@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi I have a webapp that plots a bunch of time series
> Data which are just doubles coupled with a timestamp
>
> Every chart in my webapp has a reportid in my db and i am wondering if it would be effective
to usr solr to serve the data th my app instead of keeping the data in my rdbms.

> Currently im using hadoop to calc and generate the report data and the sticking it in
my rdbms but i could use solrj client to upload the data to a solr index