lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Alireza Salimi <alireza.sal...@gmail.com>
Subject Solr Distributed Search vs Hadoop
Date Tue, 20 Dec 2011 20:28:21 GMT
Hi,

I have a basic question, let's say we're going to have a very very huge set
of data.
In a way that for sure we will need many servers (tens or hundreds of
servers).
We will also need failover.
Now the question is, if we should use Hadoop or using Solr Distributed
with shards would be enough?

I've read lots of articles like:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/content/scaling-lucene-and-solr
http://wiki.apache.org/solr/DistributedSearch

But I'm still confused, Solr's distributed search seems to be able to handle
splitting the queries and merging the result. So what's the point of using
Hadoop?

I'm pretty sure I'm missing something here. Can anyone suggest
some links regarding this issue?

Regards

--
Alireza Salimi