lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Li Li <fancye...@gmail.com>
Subject what's better for in memory searching?
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2012 08:30:38 GMT
hi all
   I want to use lucene 3.6 providing searching service. my data is
not very large, raw data is less that 1GB and I want to use load all
indexes into memory. also I need save all indexes into disk
persistently.
   I originally want to use RAMDirectory. But when I read its javadoc.

   Warning: This class is not intended to work with huge indexes.
Everything beyond several hundred megabytes
 will waste resources (GC cycles), because it uses an internal buffer
size of 1024 bytes, producing millions of byte
 [1024] arrays. This class is optimized for small memory-resident
indexes. It also has bad concurrency on
 multithreaded environments.
It is recommended to materialize large indexes on disk and use
MMapDirectory, which is a high-performance
 directory implementation working directly on the file system cache of
the operating system, so copying data to
 Java heap space is not useful.

    should I use MMapDirectory? it seems another contrib instantiated.
anyone test it with RAMDirectory?