lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Shawn Heisey <s...@elyograg.org>
Subject Re: Deleting an individual document while delta index is running
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2012 19:00:41 GMT
On 11/7/2012 10:55 AM, Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
>
> It the last part really correct?  Optimization should be doable while
> updates are going on... or am I missing something?

 From what I recall when I was first putting my build system together,
which I will admit was on Solr 1.4.0, I couldn't do updates/deletes
while optimizing was underway.  I don't think 3.x was a whole lot
different in this respect.  From the little I understand about the
significant changes in 4.0, it is probably now possible to do everything
at the same time with no worry.

Because they are using 3.3, I don't think they have access to this
ability.  Given the limited amount of information available, it seemed
the most likely explanation.  I could be wrong, and if I am, they will
have to keep looking for an explanation.

I'm definitely no expert, and I have not tried optimizing and updating
at the same time since upgrading to 3.x.  My indexing system
deliberately avoids doing the two at the same time because it caused
problems on 1.4.x.

I would certainly love to know for sure whether it's possible on 4.0,
because I am in the process of updating my entire test environment in
preparation for a production rollout.  If I can do updates/commits at
the same time as optimizing, my code will get smaller and a lot simpler.

Thanks,
Shawn