lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Exner <daniel.ex...@esemos.de>
Subject Re: Benchmarking Solr 3.3 vs. 4.0
Date Thu, 29 Nov 2012 15:29:09 GMT
I'll answer both your mails in one.

Shawn Heisey wrote:
> On 11/29/2012 3:15 AM, Daniel Exner wrote:
>> I'm currently doing some benchmarking of a real Solr 3.3 instance vs
>> the same ported to Solr 4.0.
[..]
>> In the graph you can see high CPU load, all the time. This is even the
>> case if I reduce the QPS down to 5, so CPU is no good metric for
>> comparison between Solr 3.3 and 4.0 (at least on this machine).
>> The missing memory data is due to the PerfMon JMeter Plugin having
>> time-outs sometimes.
>>
>> You can also see no real increase in latency when pushing data into
>> the index. This is puzzling me, as rumours say one should not push new
>> data while under high load, as this would hurt query performance.
>
> I don't see any attachments, or any links to external attachments, so I
> can't see the graph.  I can only make general statements, and I can't
> guarantee that they'll even be applicable to your scenario.  You may
> need to use an external attachment service and just send us a link.
Indeed, it seems like the mailing list daemon scrubbed my attachement. I
dropped it into my Dropbox, here http://db.tt/EjYCqbpn

> Are you seeing lower performance, or just worried about the CPU load?
> Solr4 should be able to handle concurrent indexing and querying better
> than 3.x.  It is able to do things concurrently that were not possible
> before.
In general I'm interested in how much better Solr 4 performs and if it
may be feasonable to use less powerful machines to get the same low
latency, or do more data pushes etc.

> One way that performance improvements happen is that developers find
> slow sections of code where the CPU is fairly idle, and rewrite them so
> they are faster, but also exercise the CPU harder.  When the new code
> runs, CPU load goes higher, but it all runs faster.
Graphs show a slightly better latency for Solr 4.0 compared to 3.3, but
not while pushing data.

> Another note specifically related to this part: Have you used the same
> configuration and done the minimal changes required to make it run, or
> have you tried to update the config for 4.0 and its considerable list of
> new features?  Did you start with a blank index on 4.0, or did you copy
> the 3.3 index over?
I used the same configuration and did the minimal changes.
The first runs where using the same data from Solr 3.3 in Solr 4.0 (in
fact it was even the same data dir..) but further runs used freshly
filled different indices.

Greetings
Daniel Exner
--
Daniel Exner
Softwaredevelopment & Applicationsupport