lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From johnmu...@aol.com
Subject RE: Is leading wildcard search turned on by default in Solr 3.6.1?
Date Tue, 13 Nov 2012 01:27:31 GMT

I'm surprised that this has not been logged as adefect.  The fact that this is ON bydefault,
means someone can bring down a server; this is bad enough to categorizethis as a security
issue.

--MJ

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Ryan [mailto:mryan@moreover.com]
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2012 8:10 PM
To: solr-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: Is leading wildcard search turned on by default in Solr 3.6.1?

Yeah, thesituation is kind of a pain right now. In https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-2438,
it was enabled by default and there is noway to disable without patching SolrQueryParser.
There's also the edismaxparser which doesn't have a setting for this, which I've made a jira
for at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-3031.

I'm surprisedother people haven't requested this, as any instance of serious size can bebrought
to its knees by a wildcard query.

-Michael