lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Br├╝gge <daniel.brue...@googlemail.com>
Subject Collections limit in SolrCloud aka best to use single index, SOLR-1293
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 09:03:16 GMT
Hi,

I have currently a problem creating cores in SolrCloud 4 (2 leaders, 2
replicas, 4 physical machines). I am using the new collections API
(e.g. with
http://myhost:8983/solr/admin/collections?action=CREATE&name=testcollection1&numShards=2&replicationFactor=2)
and try to create
approx 5000 cores. I am just creating them in the first row without filling
them with data, but after the first approx. 1000 cores (which works fine,
especially
with the first cores),  the system doesn't respond anymore and members
seems to be down.

I have searched and stumbled across
http://lucene.472066.n3.nabble.com/load-balance-with-SolrCloud-td4018367.htmlwhere
Erick Erickson said

Keep in mind, though, that all the SolrCloud goodness centers around the
> idea of a single index that may be sharded. I don't think SolrCloud has
> had
> time to really think about handling the situation in which you have a
> bunch
> of cores that may or may not be sharded but are running on the same server.

And when i see SOLR-1293 i really wonder, if its currently the best to have
one huge collection instead of thousands smaller. The data
for the whole system is couple of hundreds of millions documents. Currently
for testing a single index setup with 100mio documents, feels really
slow, especially when it comes to faceting.

Thanks. Daniel