lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From Mark Miller <markrmil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Exceptions in branch_4x log
Date Fri, 30 Nov 2012 21:24:40 GMT
You are using a local filesystem and not like NFS?

If you are not replicating, I'm surprised this would happen and doubt it's the bug mentioned
in the other reply.

It could just be a bug we have to defend against - if a file is not there because the index
is changing as we are counting, we should probably just continue on.

- Mark

On Nov 30, 2012, at 4:15 PM, Shawn Heisey <solr@elyograg.org> wrote:

> This is branch_4x, checked out 2012-11-28.  Here is my solr log, created by log4j at
WARN level:

> http://dl.dropbox.com/u/97770508/solr-2012-11-30.log
>
> There are a bunch of unusual exceptions in here.  Most of them appear to be related to
getting information from the mbeans handler, specifically getting the size of the index from
the replication handler ... it appears that for this exception, the index gets updated while
the stats are being gathered, and files in the index disappear.

> The other exceptions look like they are I/O related.  I don't know why they are happening.
 Can anyone shed any light on the situation?  What other information should I include for
troubleshooting?

> For the disappearing index files, I am guessing that some kind of synchronization may
need to be added so that the index cannot change while the replication handler is gathering
the size information.  I am actually not using replication, the only reason I have the handler
configured is so that I can get the size of my indexes.  See SOLR-3990.

> I think I need to file jira issues for these problems, but I would like to understand
them better before doing that.  Can anyone offer any insight?