lucene-solr-user mailing list archives

From "Jack Krupansky" <j...@basetechnology.com>
Subject Re: Minimum HA Setup with SolrCloud
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2012 22:21:48 GMT
Rewind.

If 1 is the minimum, what is the 3 "minimum" all about?

The zk web page does say "Three ZooKeeper servers is the minimum recommended
size for an ensemble, and we also recommend that they run on separate
machines" - but it does say "recommended".

But back to the original question - it sounds as if 4 nodes would the
recommended minimum number of nodes if you want to tolerate one machine
going down and maintaining that 3 zookeeper recommended minimum ensemble.

>From the zookeeper web page:

"For reliable ZooKeeper service, you should deploy ZooKeeper in a cluster
known as an ensemble. As long as a majority of the ensemble are up, the
service will be available. Because Zookeeper requires a majority, it is best
to use an odd number of machines. For example, with four machines ZooKeeper
can only handle the failure of a single machine; if two machines fail, the
remaining two machines do not constitute a majority. However, with five
machines ZooKeeper can handle the failure of two machines."

See:
http://zookeeper.apache.org/doc/r3.1.2/zookeeperAdmin.html

-- Jack Krupansky